A visit to Scandinavia is a part of the plans of many vacationers. It appears to be far-off and it’s! There in northern Europe in a area filled with inexperienced areas, lakes, rivers and chilly. How about crossing Norway from east to west on one of many world’s most lovely rail journeys? We embark on this route that connects the capital metropolis of Oslo with Bergen, the gateway to the well-known fjords. A visit that mixes historical past and the unparalleled great thing about nature, passing by way of distinctive factors resembling the most important mountain plateau in all of Europe. Journey with us and uncover each element of this superb railway journey.
Touring by practice from Oslo to Bergen
The practice between Oslo and Bergen departs a number of occasions a day alongside a historic railway line that’s over 100 years previous. We set off on this journey on the predominant station of the capital of Norway. To discover the fjords, we might journey a lot sooner by flying with the airways that function this route (SAS, Norwegian, Flyr and Wideroe), however we choose to face the 6:40 AM tour to benefit from the lovely panorama of Norway.
The journey begins in Oslo and heads to Drammen, on the outskirts of the capital, a metropolis crossed by Drammenselva, a wonderful river for wild salmon fishing. Steadily, the city half lags behind, and till the top of the journey, Norway’s nice biodiversity is within the highlight.
After crossing Vikersund, Tyrifjorden seems, the fifth largest lake in Norway, 330 meters deep. The panorama turns into extra accentuated and the mountains take form. The practice begins to climb. Midway by way of the journey, we attain Geilo, top-of-the-line ski locations in Norway.
To spend a very long time on the practice, it is best to benefit from the view with out stopping, or obtain movies forward of time for streaming out of your cell. However beware, the on-board wi-fi will not be working. To benefit from the surroundings higher, e book upfront, ideally by the window to the left of the practice. Additionally, remember to carry your snacks as the costs within the on-board canteen are a bit steep.
By following the lengthy path, the panorama adjustments. We enter the Hardangervidda Nationwide Park, on the Hardangervidda plateau, the most important excessive mountain plateau in Europe. The vegetation turns into thinner, snow patches seem, and a really rocky floor dominates the stage all the way in which to Finse. This village, the very best journey level at 1,222 meters, was as soon as the scene of the Star Wars film and might solely be reached by practice.
Time to begin descending in direction of the coast. Vegetation begins to thicken with a really darkish greenish tint. Between Voos and Bergen, we traverse excessive mountains, deep valleys, till we see the well-known Norwegian fjords. Typically the practice runs proper over the water, superb spectacle to admire the fantastic fjords. Arriving in Bergen is easy after simply over a 6h40 journey. Actually price!
Easy methods to purchase tickets from Oslo to Bergen?
Tickets for the practice between Oslo and Bergen could be bought at station ticket places of work, self-service merchandising machines or on-line. It is best to purchase digitally and upfront. In case you are programming you’ll pay much less. Keep away from vacation dates so you do not spend extra. Tickets go on sale 90 days upfront.
How a lot are the tickets from Oslo to Bergen?
The worth of tickets varies significantly relying on the date and time of buy. The bottom fare is NOK 269 (R $ 135) for a non-flexible ticket. Nonetheless, the identical ticket can price over NOK 1,100 (R $ 550) if bought near your journey date and on holidays.
When does the practice from Oslo to Bergen go away?
Trains between Oslo and Bergen run every day and there are a number of departures. From Monday to Friday, the practice leaves Oslo six occasions a day, on the earliest at 6:25 AM and newest at 11:03 PM (practice at daybreak). There are solely three departures a day on weekends, at 8:25 on the earliest.
What are the varieties of practice tickets?
Vacationers touring by practice between Oslo and Bergen have a alternative of three varieties of tickets. Probably the most economical is an rigid ticket, which can’t be modified and is non-refundable. I misplaced my journey, I misplaced my cash invested.
The versatile ticket means that you can change the date and time. A completely versatile ticket is the most costly, the traveler can change the date or request a refund. All in all, the chair choice is included within the worth.
How lengthy is the practice journey between Oslo and Bergen?
The practice journey between Oslo and Bergen is lengthy. Not in course, however in hours. The practice covers roughly 490 kilometers in roughly 7 hours.
There are at the very least 14 stops alongside the way in which, which makes the journey a bit longer. Amongst these stops is the gorgeous city of Voos with its lake and the vital ski resort of Geilo. Under you can see some points of interest alongside the route.
When to go on a visit?
The practice connection between Oslo and Bergen could be operated at any time of the yr. Each month you may respect the great thing about nature, after all, every season has its personal specificity.
In case you are on the lookout for a extra colourful, sunny and inexperienced panorama, the summer season and spring months are good for you. Within the fall, the colours of the vegetation change to yellowish, orange and pink. It is lovely, nevertheless it’s raining extra this time of yr. In winter, the whole lot will probably be very white, lined with a thick layer of snow and frost.
Watch a video produced by the Bergen journey company under:
How is the practice from Oslo to Bergen?
You possibly can’t think about discovering a contemporary practice just like the Spanish or Japanese ones. Bergensbanen is older, however passengers are comfy on an extended journey. Every automotive has chargers within the seats, a clear lavatory and a spot to retailer baggage.
The configuration of the automotive is 2 locations in every window and a passage within the center. This is a tip: when touring between Oslo and Bergen, choose to sit down on the left facet of the practice and proper by the window for the superb view.
The practice additionally has a household automotive which even has a play space for youngsters. A spot appropriate for households with younger kids. It additionally has sleeping automobiles, bicycle storage and a cafeteria. See some canteen costs: water and soda 42 NOK (21 R $), espresso 33 NOK (16 R $), pizza 89 NOK (45 R $), sandwich with salmon for 146 NOK (73 R $) and so forth.
Issues to do on the Oslo-Bergen route
- About 2 km from Flå station is situated Bjørneparken, the place you may meet bears, leopards, elks, lynxes and way more;
- half-hour from Nesbyen station is Hemsedal, certainly one of Norway’s finest ski locations and a summer season paradise for climbers and mountain bikers;
- Hallingdal is near the Ål station Vacation parka park filled with points of interest for the household, with: a small farm, zip strains, climbing and so forth .;
- In Gol, you may see a picket church that could be a devoted duplicate of the unique from the thirteenth century. The unique was transferred to the Norsk Folkemuseum, Norwegian Museum of Cultural Historical past in Oslo, in 1884;
- Geilo, midway between Oslo and Bergen, is certainly one of Norway’s hottest winter locations;
- Finse, this little village accessible solely by practice, is the very best level of the practice journey. The placement does Rallarvegenone of the picturesque bicycle routes in Norway;
- At Myrdal Station, you may board the historic one Flamsban in direction of the village of Flåm, entry level to Aurlands Fjord;
- The town of Voss is Norway’s adrenaline capital, providing rafting, skydiving, biking, mountain climbing and way more;
- Between Voss and Bergen, take pleasure in a stupendous view of the well-known fjords.
Factors of curiosity of the Oslo to Bergen line
- The Olso-Bergen Railway was in-built 1909;
- It’s the highest railway line in northern Europe, reaching 1222 meters above sea stage – the purpose reached in Finse;
- There are 180 tunnels alongside the railway route;
- There are at the very least 14 stops on the route and as much as 22;
- The railway is 492 kilometers lengthy and the journey takes at the very least 6h40;
- It crosses the Hardangervidda Nationwide Park on the Hardangervidda Plateau, the most important excessive mountain plateau in Europe;
- Hardangervidda Nationwide Park has the most important wild reindeer inhabitants in Norway, with over 10,000 residing within the area;
- In 1979, some scenes from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Again have been filmed round Finse;
- The area close to Finse station was utilized by polar explorers Nansen, Amundsen and Shackleton throughout their Antarctic coaching;
- The Gravhals Tunnel, between Myrdal and Voss, is 5,311 meters lengthy and took 10 years to construct;
- Based in 1070, Bergen was the capital of Norway and is the second largest metropolis within the nation.
Is it price touring by practice from Oslo to Bergen?
Earlier than embarking on this journey, I learn lots and did analysis on it. The lengthy journey of seven hours has all the time bothered me because the flight does not take 40 minutes and the route is served by Low Price firms. Nonetheless, varied reviews highlighted the pure magnificence discovered alongside the way in which. I might see and signal under that the practice journey between Oslo and Bergen is superb.
The journey begins with a drive by way of small cities on the outskirts of the Norwegian capital, after which penetrating the dense forests of the nation. Norway is actually inexperienced! By practice, you may see a number of lakes, waterfalls and enter the most important and highest plateau in Europe. The panorama adjustments its face and takes on new contours till we attain a peak of simply over 1,200 meters – the very best railway line in northern Europe. Outdoors the window there are quite a few rocks, lakes and huge uninhabited areas. No surprise George Lucas selected this location for the Star Wars motion. Earlier than reaching Bergen, lovely fjords take middle stage.
I used to be touring on the finish of spring and naturally the climate time chosen for this itinerary made it very tough for the breathtaking view. I’ve already discovered timber with a stupendous yellowish tinge and some spots of ice. In winter the whole lot could be very white and lined with a thick layer of snow.
I do not remorse neglecting the practicality and pace of the brief flight between Oslo and Bergen. The 7 hours spent on the practice could be simply seen and rewarded with the fantastic nature of Norway. At an altitude of 10,000 meters above sea stage, it might be unimaginable to expertise this superb expertise.